9 In Atelier

Maria Host wearing Valentine Avoh

maria-host-dress-and-photo-by-valentine-avoh-2

My two passions, clothes making and photography, reunited in a series of pictures, thanks to the beautiful and adorable Maria Host, who accepted to model one of my dress while I took her picture.

I met Maria during a cocktail party and it became evident to me that her poise and elegance would make her the perfect model for my designs… Born in Milan to an Indonesian mother and a Serbian – German father she possess the kind of international beauty which cannot really be identified but instantly mesmerize you… Besides, she is also very friendly and interesting to talk to!

[FROM THE STUDIO]

black-and-white-dress-by-valentine-avoh-in-the-studio-5

As for the dress, I remember finding this black and white stripped silk organza in my local fabric store and immediately falling in love with it! Although there was only one small piece left, I knew it would be enough for a simple but elegant cocktail dress… To add a twist to it, I included two see through black panels; one at the waist and the other at the bottom of the skirt. To be honest, Organza isn’t the easiest fabric to work with as it is very slippery and stretchable. The hardest part was probably to match properly all the lines together but after spending days hand beading an Alexander McQueen jacket… It didn’t seem so hard after all ;-)

In the end, I was really happy with the result and even more when I saw it on Maria! As there is nothing better than seeing your work on someone else… And in this case, it looked as it was made just for her! What do you think?

More photos with Maria (my new muse ;-) will be coming out next month so stay tuned!

maria-host-dress-and-photo-by-valentine-avoh-bmaria-host-dress-and-photo-by-valentine-avoh-fmaria-host-dress-and-photo-by-valentine-avoh-amaria-host-dress-and-photo-by-valentine-avoh-c Shoot Location: Arco della Pace – Milano

Thank you again Maria!!!

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Comtesse Sofia
    29 August 2013 at 10:48

Oh, I had never seen your backstage articles… they are fascinating.

Otherwise, all I have to say is: congratz! The transparency makes the dress look all the more light and elegant, the finish is perfect and the lighting in your photos looks enchantingly dappled.

Yours, Comtesse Sofia

Valentine
      30 August 2013 at 21:35

Oh thank you! I am glad you like the dress, I will try to post more backstage pictures this year ;-) Thanks again for your nice words!

Une petite Bruxelloise
    29 August 2013 at 11:07

Great summer cocktail dress! I like the little “frill” at the bottom of the dress very much, it makes it so much more playful :)
    Congrats!

Valentine
      30 August 2013 at 21:32

Thank you! I am glad you like it ;-)

charlotte
    30 August 2013 at 17:15

oh, how nice! the dress is really pretty! I wish I could make such beautiful things!
    xo Charlotte – aliceroxy

Valentine
      30 August 2013 at 21:46

Thanks Charlotte!
      You should try ;-) Pattern and sewing can be a little bit hard at the beginning but once you get the hang of it, you can do pretty much anything. And if you have question about clothe making, don’t hesitate to ask me ;-)

Stylishlyme
    1 September 2013 at 06:14

You did an amazing job! I love that you added the stripes of organza to it – made it feel much lighter. That material is perfect – I can see what you fell in love with it.

-V

Valentine
      5 September 2013 at 03:16

Thank you so much! I am happy you agree on my choice of material and that you like the result ;-)

Elise
    6 December 2013 at 10:28

As previous readers noticed: The frill at the end makes the dress! Very chic. Good job!